Are you a fat kid at heart? Did you know that there are ways to enjoy some of your favorite foods like pizza, cupcakes, and pancakes without all the junk? Try these three delicious and fast recipes I’ve found, modified and enjoyed. Have you considered using Greek Yogurt to replace some of the bad ingredients typically found in some unhealthy foods?
Greek yogurt is a healthy alternative because it has no saturated fats thus it’s more heart-friendly. It’s also a good source of calcium to help you build strong bones and strong muscles. Greek yogurt is packed with protein, and because it’s so dense, it leaves you feeling full without over-consumption. Good thing too, because all foods are best eaten in moderation.
So, if you want to make pizza, cupcakes and pancakes healthier, check out my three recipes below!
I have made this pizza recipe (from this video) over and over again, and I try to modify it every time just to experiment with the taste. I use Pillsbury’s Gluten-free flour with xantham gum. Although my flour never changes, the yogurt base often does. I’ve tried using peach Greek yogurt – which sounds disgusting but didn’t change the flavor too much. It simply made it a hint sweeter. I’ve also tried vanilla Greek yogurt instead of plain Greek Yogurt. Vanilla didn’t change the flavoring at all. In addition to changing the yogurt base, I used to use garlic salt, but when I ran out, I opted for full-fledged raw garlic. I was worried it would affect the consistency, but it just made the pizza yummier with no negative effects.
1 cup of self-rising flour
1 cup of Greek yogurt
Seasonings of your choice
Toppings of your choice: if you like vegetables on your pizza, I suggest they go on top of the sauce layer, below the cheese layer.
- Place yogurt, flour, and garlic salt (or freshly minced garlic) together in the mixer. Mix until you form a ball. May also use a bowl and hand mixer or mold by hand.
- Grease pan. Flatten dough in round pan. Add pasta sauce and smooth it out.
- Add veggies or cheese layer.
- Add toppings and/or seasonings. I use basil and Italian seasoning.
- Cook at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- Let it cool and enjoy! Best when warm but who doesn’t enjoy cold pizza, too?
I am in love with cupcakes, and when I really have a knackering for them, I substitute a lot of the original recipe for healthier options.
*Side note: you can use any fruit for this recipe. I’ve used grapefruit and oranges too.
1 1/2 cups of gluten free flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. of salt
1 cup of no added sugar applesauce
1/2 cup of avocado
1/2 cup of lemon greek yogurt
1 tbsp. of fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
- Add wet ingredients into a mixer first: applesauce, avocado, eggs, yogurt lemon juice and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients into a mixer second: flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cook for 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy! Personally, I don’t need frosting to enjoy (so technically this is a muffin) but if you have a healthy frosting idea, post below in the comment section.
1 1/2 cups of gluten free flour
2 tsp. of baking powder
1/2 tsp. of salt
2 tbsp. of oil
2 tsp. of vanilla
1 1/2 cups of greek yogurt
Mix ingredients and pour slowly on a griddle like normal pancakes. Serve with eggs and sugar-free syrup (Although they are sweet enough to eat without any syrup at all).
Other Healthy Substitutions for Baking
- Butter can be substituted with avocado (replace the bad fats for good fats)
- Sugar can be substituted with applesauce or blackened bananas
- Greek Yogurt can replace milk and sour cream in any recipe
Try these recipes and let us know what you think. Happy eating!